After a disclosure or concern of sexual abuse, it is often helpful for a child to see a health professional.
At the Children's Advocacy Center of Suffolk County, we have an on-site, specially-trained pediatric sexual assault nurse examiner (pedi-SANE) to perform forensically sound medical examinations. This exam is important for several reasons:
- To ensure the health and well being of the child
- To reassure the child that everything is okay with their body
- To diagnose and treat medical conditions that may or may not be related to child abuse
- To provide video documentation of possible physical and forensic findings
- To allow for collection of evidence that may be present on the child's body or clothing using the newly developed Pediatric Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Kit
Medical services are provided in our child-friendly examination room; fully-equipped and designed with children in mind. The medical exam is not painful or invasive. The Pedi-SANE focus and motto is based on the principle of "Do No Harm"and we stand behind that in treating each and every child.
The medical examination also provides an opportunity for the child and family to be linked to other important services and resources
Adine Latimore, PNP Pediatric and Adult SANE